Healthy Delicious Recipes Using Flax Seed
Flax Seed is a form of linoleic acid, one of the omega fatty acids, Omega 3, incredibly healthy when added to our diet. Like fish, it not only helps by reducing cholesterol, but is excellent for many other health problems such as arthritis, cancer and obesity. Adding this fiber to our diet can help us balance our bodies, mood and weight. I sprinkle it on almost everything.
Here are several mouth watering recipes using Flax Seed.
Egg Substitute = 1 tablespoons of Flax Seed in three tablespoons of water.
Whole Grain Bread or Rolls
1 1/2 cup warm water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon Honey or raw sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons active yeast
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cup bread flour
3 tablespoons Flax Seed
1 cup oats
1 beaten egg
1 cup of chopped Walnuts optional (Also very healthy)
1/2 cup dried cranberries optional
1/4 cup oats
Use a bread machine or mix and knead dough for ten minutes. Cover with warm damp cloth or paper towel and let rise for thirty minutes punch down or loaf shape into rolls or loaf and put on cookie sheet or in loaf pan cover again with warm damp cloth and let rise a second time. Brush egg on all rolls or loaf. Add nuts, cranberries or and/or oats to top optional. Put in 350 preheated oven for about fifteen minutes or until lightly brown.
Flax Seed Cookies
Coq Au Vin
This is a French dish and though it does call for dark red wine such as an inexpensive burgundy, there is no sugar added, and the Flax Seed is not even noticed in the taste.
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of butter (more if needed)
3 or 4 pound chicken cut up
3 tablespoons of flour(preferably whole wheat)
1 1/2 teaspoon of thyme
1 teaspoon tarragon
2 1/2 teaspoons garlic
2 tablespoons Flax seed
1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper
3 cups 2 inch cut or baby carrots
2 cups of half cut or small onions
1 tablespoon flour
2 cups of burgundy
2/3 cup of mushrooms, can or fresh.
- Coat the chicken lightly with the flour and seasonings, put left over flour aside.
- Melt the butter with the oil over a medium low flame in the large pan on the oven top. Brown the chicken in the oil and butter.
- Remove chicken when lightly browned on both sides and put aside in dish until later.
- add all the other ingredients to the pan except mushrooms and wine.
- Brown carrots and onions.
- Add leftover flour from chicken coating and another tablespoon of flour to pan and stir lightly. Slowly add the burgundy while stirring the carrot onion mixture.
- Add the chicken and mushrooms and cook on low for 1 hour.
This can be served over brown rice or with mashed potatoes.
Cream less Carrot & Butternut Squash Soup with Spinach, (all excellent ingredients for good health)
Here is a cream of soup without the cream that can be duplicated with other cream of soups as well. Instead of the cream use a processor to mash all the ingredients after cooking then put back into pot. There is really no need for cream for it to taste like it already has that ingredient, and if mashed very well it does have that taste.
6 cups water and five chicken bouillon or
three cups chicken broth added to 3 cups water.
1 pound carrots
1 large onion cut in four
1 large butternut Squash
1 stalk of celery cut up
2 tablespoons Tarragon
2 tablespoons Flax Seed
2 tablespoons minced garlic
salt & pepper to taste
2 tablespoons Honey or Blue Agave
1 tablespoon Raw or Brown sugar
5 oz fresh spinach, remove the stems.
3 stalks of green onion cut in one inch pieces
- Put first six ingredients in pot and cook for one hour.
- Very carefully, not to burn yourself, take out all vegetables with a straining spoon and put in a processor a little at a time, not to overload processor. Leave processor on until all the vegetables are creamed.
- Put them all back into pot and put the next six ingredients in. Cook another fifteen minutes adding the fresh spinach leaves and green onions.
Carob Walnut Cookies
1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cup bread or pastry flour
1/2 cup Flax seed
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups oats
2/3 cup butter
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
2/3 cup Honey or Blue Agave
2 eggs beaten well
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup carob (or chocolate)
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Mix flours, flax seed, salt, baking soda, and oats in bowl and set aside.
- Cream butter, sugar, honey, beaten eggs and vanilla and stir well.
- Add carob chips and chopped walnuts stirring another two minutes until blended.
- Take tablespoons of mixture and put on well greased cookie sheet two inches apart.
- Put pan into preheated 350 oven for fifteen to twenty minutes or until done.
- Test with a fork or toothpick.